Save to your scrapbook
Mexican-style pork carnitas
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1.2kg free range Hampshire pork shoulder
3 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp dried Cooks’ Ingredients Wild Oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 onion, unpeeled and cut into wedges
1 bulb garlic, unpeeled and halved horizontally
3 limes, juiced
3 large oranges, juiced
3 bay leaves, scrunched
30g pack Cooks’ Ingredients Ancho Chillies
2 x 250ml bottlesCoca-Cola
To reheat and serve
2 x 300g packs Gran Luchito Street Tacos, warmed
1 onion, finely diced
20g coriander, chopped
Pickled jalapeños, to serve
Guacamole, to serve
Salsa, to serve
Lime wedges, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 150ºC, gas mark 3. Pat and dry the pork with kitchen paper if needed, then rub the pork with salt and pepper. Place
all the ingredients in a casserole dish or stock pan and add the pork with 1L cold water. Bring up to a simmer, place the lid on and put in the oven to slow cook for 3 hours.
2. Once the pork is falling apart, remove from the cooking liquid and shred with 2 forks into a bowl, leave to cool completely.
3. To freeze at this point, place in a labelled food bag with 200ml of the cooking liquid and freeze flat before stacking in the freezer. Freeze for up to month.
4. To reheat and serve, cover and defrost the pork overnight in the fridge. Preheat the grill to high. Tip the pork into a foil-lined tray and place under the grill for 10-15 minutes to crisp up, turning occasionally until piping hot throughout.
5. Serve with street tacos, chopped onion, coriander, jalapeños, guacamole, salsa and lime wedges, to squeeze over. Do not reheat again once cooled.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 26 15:08:53 GMT 2020.