Save to your scrapbook
Orange, cherry & buttermilk bread
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
500g strong white bread flour
½ tsp salt
7g dried yeast
75g Waitrose Golden Caster Sugar
1 tsp caraway seeds, lightly crushed
Zest of 1 orange and juice of ½
25g mixed peel + 1 tbsp
60g pack Forest Feast Sour Cherries, chopped
1. Add the flour, salt, yeast, 25g sugar, caraway seeds and orange zest to a stand mixer, pour in 250ml warm water along with the buttermilk, and mix with a dough hook until a dough is formed. Knead for 10 minutes until soft and elastic. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for about 45-60 minutes or until doubled in size.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
3. Knock back the dough and knead in the 25g mixed peel and cherries. Roll out to a sausage shape about 60cm long and form into a ring, sealing the 2 ends together. Place on an oiled baking tray, cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until it makes a hollow sound when tapped on the base.
5. Mix the remaining 50g sugar with the juice of half the orange and stir in the remaining mixed peel. Drizzle over the ring and allow to cool before serving.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in April 2016.