Save to your scrapbook
Pan-roasted crispy chicken, smoked pancetta & woodland mushrooms with sweetcorn sauce
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 corn on the cob
120ml semi-skimmed milk
150ml single cream
4 Waitrose Duchy Organic Free Range Chicken Thighs
1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
77g pack diced pancetta
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
200g pack woodland mushrooms
1. Place the corn upright on a board, then run a sharp knife downwards to remove their kernels, discarding the core, to give about 230g of kernels. Place the kernels in a small saucepan along with the milk and cream. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a low simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool a little.
2. Tip the corn mixture into a blender, then blend until smooth. Place a fine sieve over the saucepan used for the corn and pass the blended mixture through the sieve. You should have a smooth sauce. Season with ¼ tsp salt and some pepper to taste. Set aside while you prepare the chicken.
3. Remove the bones from the chicken thighs and trim off any excess skin. Season with a generous amount of sea salt on the skin and meat. In a large frying pan over a medium heat, warm the oil and sauté the pancetta until crisp and brown. Remove to a plate.
4. Using the same frying pan over a medium heat, add the chicken, skin-side down, for 10 minutes, untouched so the skin crisps up nicely and is browned all over. Turn over and cook on the other side for 5-8 minutes, depending on size, until thoroughly cooked, the juices run clear and there is no pink meat. Remove to a plate and leave to rest.
5. Tip out most of the oil into a small bowl until there is about 1 tbsp left in the pan. Add a small knob of butter, the garlic and mushrooms. Sauté until softened. Season.
6. When ready to eat, warm the corn sauce gently and spoon a little onto some warm plates. Slice the chicken and place on top, along with the pancetta and mushrooms, then serve with a dressed green salad.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Aug 10 11:37:05 BST 2021.