Save to your scrapbook
Roast peaches in vermouth with PX sherry ice cream
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
6 ripe peaches
30g unsalted butter
3-4 tbsp honey, to drizzle
about 500ml sweet red vermouth
50g toasted flaked almonds
300ml whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split in half and seeds scraped out
6 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
600ml double cream
100ml Pedro Ximénez sherry
1. For the ice cream, heat the milk with the vanilla pod and seeds until almost boiling. Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar with a hand whisk until really thick and fl uffy. Pour in the hot milk and stir well. Clean out the pan, then strain the mixture back in.
2. Cook over a medium-low heat to make a thick custard – about 4-5 minutes. Take off the heat, cover the surface with cling fi lm and leave to cool, then chill (overnight if possible). Stir in the cream and sherry, then churn in an ice-cream maker until thick. Scoop into a freezeproof container; freeze for at least 4 hours.
3. Heat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Halve the peaches and put in a roasting tin. Put a little knob of butter on each, then drizzle with the honey. Pour the vermouth into the bottom of the tin (it should cover it to a depth of about 1cm) and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Spoon the juices over the peaches and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, until they are tender but still holding their shape. Drain the juices into a small pan and bubble over a high heat to thicken to a coating syrup – about 10-12 minutes.
5. Serve the peaches with the syrup and ice cream, scatter with the almonds, and offer some more chilled vermouth alongside, if liked.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, August 2017 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
Per serving 3638kJ
This recipe was first published in August 2017.