Save to your scrapbook
Smoked tofu, butternut squash & coconut traybake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 3 - 4
225g block The Tofoo Co Smoked Extra Firm Tofu
1 red onion
1/3 Savoy cabbage
3 cloves garlic
400g can coconut milk
2 tsp medium curry powder
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp cornflour
½ x 500g pack frozen Cooks’ Ingredients Butternut Vine Squash
Basil leaves, to serve
Cooked rice, to serve
(wholegrain, wild and red rice works well)
For the marinade
60ml soy sauce
2 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar
1 tbsp light brown soft sugar, maple syrup or honey
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp sriracha
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC, gas mark 7 and line a roasting tin with baking parchment. Open the tofu and drain the liquid. Press dry with kitchen paper, then cut into 2cm cubes.
2. Whisk all the marinade ingredients together in a wide shallow dish. Add the tofu and mix to coat evenly. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, cut the red onion into thin half-moons and chop the cabbage into 5cm chunks. Crush the garlic under the side of a knife and peel. Take the tofu cubes out of the marinade (reserve the marinade) and spread out in the prepared tin. Bake for 15 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk, curry powder, turmeric and cornflour to the reserved marinade and blitz in a blender until smooth. When the tofu has baked for 15 minutes, remove the baking paper from the tin and add the squash, onion, cabbage and garlic. Season. Mix well and spread out evenly. Pour over the coconut sauce.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, mixing halfway through, until piping hot throughout. Add most of the basil and toss together, then leave for 5 minutes before serving with the rest of the basil and the rice.
Typical values per serving:
(for 3, with rice) vegetarian/vegan
This recipe was first published in October 2021.