Save to your scrapbook
Spicy veggie scotch eggs with cucumber relish
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: Makes 10
12 medium eggs
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
2 carrots, coarsely grated
1 tbsp garam masala
2 x 400g cans essential Waitrose Chick Peas, drained and rinsed
100g plain flour
100g Cooks’ Ingredients Soft White Breadcrumbs
1 x Sunflower oil, for deep frying
4 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
1 x ½ tsp salt
1 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed
1 cucumber, deseeded and finely chopped
28g pack fresh coriander, finely chopped
1. Cook 10 of the eggs in a pan of boiling water for 8 minutes. Drain, cool and shell, then pat them dry on kitchen paper.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pan and cook the onion, garlic, chillies and carrots for 5 minutes or so until golden. Tip into a bowl, add the garam masala and chick peas then, using a handheld blender, whizz to make a smooth purée. Season.
3. Divide the chick pea mixture into 10 portions then carefully wrap round each dried egg, making sure they are completely covered. Lightly beat the remaining two eggs. Roll the coated eggs in the flour, shaking off any excess, then in the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Pop in the fridge for a few minutes.
4. To make the relish, mix the vinegar, sugar, salt and coriander seeds together in a largebowl. Stir in the cucumber and coriander then transfer to a suitable container and chill until ready to serve.
5. Half-fill a deep saucepan or deep-fat fryer with sunflower oil and heat until the oil is hot enough to cook a cube of bread in 60 seconds. Deep-fry the eggs in batches for 3-4 minutes until crunchy and dark golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in July 2012.