Save to your scrapbook
Strawberry, mascarpone and almond Swiss roll
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
40g blanched whole almonds
140g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
140g plain flour, sifted, plus extra for dusting
60g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
30g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
150g strawberries, hulled, plus extra to serve
20g toasted flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 200˚C, gas mark 6. Grease and line a 34cm x 22cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment. Toast the whole almonds on a small baking tray for 7 minutes, until a shade darker and aromatic; finely chop.
2. With electric beaters or a freestanding mixer, whisk the sugar and eggs together until pale, creamy and at least doubled in size – 8-10 minutes. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the sifted flour, a few tablespoons at a time, followed by the chopped almonds and melted butter. Be patient and take care not to knock out too much air. Transfer the mixture to the lined Swiss roll tin and smooth out with the back of the spoon.
3. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden with a slight spring to the touch. Meanwhile, put a large sheet of baking parchment on top of a large chopping board and sprinkle it with caster sugar. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, turn it out onto the parchment. Gently peel off the top layer of baking parchment. Score a line 2cm in from a short end of the sponge. Tightly roll it up and leave to cool, seam-side down.
4. Beat together the mascarpone and icing sugar until smooth, then stir in the vanilla. Mash the strawberries with a fork, so they still have a little bit of texture, then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture. Gently unroll the cooled sponge. Spread the strawberry mascarpone over the surface. Roll the sponge up again, leaving the baking parchment on the board, and position on a serving platter seam-side down.
5. Dust the roll with icing sugar and arrange the extra strawberries on top. Scatter over the toasted flaked almonds and serve.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose & Partners Food, May 2019 issue. Download the Waitrose & Partners Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
Per serving (8) 1903kJ
This recipe was first published in April 2019.