Save to your scrapbook
Sweet & smokey Mexican ribs
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
25g tub Cooks’ Ingredients Cascabel Chillies
2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled
3 sprigs oregano, leaves only
1 tbsp tomato purée
30g black treacle
1 orange, zest and juice
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1.8kg beef short ribs
500ml beef stock
1. Cover the chillies with hot water and leave to soak for about 10 minutes. Then drain the chillies, remove the stalk and scrape out as many of the seeds as you can. Put the flesh into a food processor.
2. Place all of the other ingredients into the food processor apart from the oil, ribs and stock, and blitz until you reach a reasonably smooth mix.
3. Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and when hot, brown the ribs all over. When browned, remove them on to a plate. Scrape the chilli paste into the hot pan and fry, stirring regularly for 2 minutes.
4. Lay the ribs back in the dish and cover with the stock. Bring up to the boil, cover and simmer for about 2 hours 30 minutes or until very tender.
5. Cool then grill on the barbecue or under a hot grill, to finish (or serve immediately, hot with creamy mash).
Typical values per serving:
per serving (for 6)
This recipe was first published in June 2016.