Save to your scrapbook
White fishcakes with dill & capers
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
500g cod or haddock loin
1 tbsp olive oil
500g large potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp double cream
1 lemon, finely grated zest
20g pack dill, finely chopped
2 tbsp drained capers, chopped
50g plain flour
2 British Blacktail Large Free Range Eggs, beaten
200g The Village Bakery Try Rye!, at least 1 day old, made into crumbs
To reheat and serve
Rapeseed oil, to drizzle
1/4 cucumber, finely sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
½ x 20g pack dill, leaves only, torn
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Place the fish on a baking sheet, season and drizzle with the olive oil, then roast for 10 minutes until the fish is cooked through, opaque and starting to flake. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. Boil the potatoes in salted water for 15 minutes until soft, drain and allow to steam and dry in a colander before returning to the pan and mashing with the cream. Set aside to cool a little.
3. Flake the fish into the potato, add the lemon zest, dill, capers and season well. Stir gently to combine. Divide into 10 balls and flatten into patties.
4. Place the flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate shallow dishes. Season the flour. Dip each patty into the flour, then the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs.
5. To freeze at this point, place each patty onto a baking sheet (that will fit into your freezer) lined with parchment paper. Cover and freeze for 3 hours then remove from the tray and place in a labelled freezer bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
6. To reheat, preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Place the frozen fishcakes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle with rapeseed oil and cook for 30-35 minutes until piping hot throughout and golden. Meanwhile, place the cucumber and onions in the vinegar to lightly pickle. Serve the hot fishcakes scattered with the dill, chopped egg and pickled cucumber and onion. These are delicious in a wholemeal bun or with a salad and root vegetable fries. Do not reheat again once cooled.
Typical values per serving:
low in sat fat;high in protein
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 26 15:02:00 GMT 2020.
Average user rating