Save to your scrapbook
Apple & cinnamon pie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 4 - 6
200g plain flour
1 tbsp Billington’s Golden Caster Sugar
125g cold Lurpak Unsalted Butter, diced
300g pack frozen Bramley apple slices, defrosted
25g fresh breadcrumbs
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp milk
4 tbsp Billington’s Demerara Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6.
2. To make the pastry, place the flour, salt and caster sugar in a bowl. Rub 100g butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 3-4 tbsp cold water and mix to form a dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for half an hour.
3. Meanwhile, melt the remaining 25g butter in a frying pan and fry the apple slices for 3 minutes. Mix in the breadcrumbs, cinnamon, sultanas and 3 tbsp demerara sugar and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Roll out half the pastry to a 25cm round and place on a greased baking tray. Spoon over the apple mixture leaving a 2cm border round the edges, brush the border with water.
5. Roll out the remaining half of the pastry to a 26cm round, place on top of the apples and fold over the pastry edges to enclose the pie. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the remaining Demerara sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in October 2014.
Average user rating