Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A different take on a pie, without the pastry! This recipe uses a delicious crumble topping instead.
This is a Full Time: Get Cooking with Marcus and Tom recipe. Premier League footballer Marcus Rashford and chef Tom Kerridge have created the campaign as part of #EndChildFoodPoverty to get families across the country cooking nutritious, low-cost meals.
1 x 500g packet of 5% fat beef mince
1 tin of small new potatoes
1 tin of oxtail soup
1 tin of sliced carrots
1 mug of frozen peas
For the crumble topping:
1 1/2 mugs of plain flour
4 tbsp reduced salt beef gravy granules
3 tsp mixed dried herbs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 mug of water
A big pinch of black pepper
1. Pop the oven on at 180C, then heat a frying pan over a high heat and, once hot, add the mince and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
2. Peel and slice the onion and add this to the pan for a few minutes, before draining the tinned tomatoes and adding these too.
3. Pour in the tin of oxtail soup, then fill the same tin up with water and add this to the pan. Bring it to the boil and then reduce the heat so it's bubbling gently at a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
4. Drain the carrots and add these along with the peas to the pan, then stir together and cook for a couple more minutes. Remove it from the heat and pour the contents of the pan into an ovenproof roasting tin or dish so it fits snugly, then set aside to cool slightly.
5. Meanwhile, in a bowl, add the flour, gravy granules, dried herbs and vegetable oil and give it a good stir. Add the 1/4 mug of water and bring the mixture together by rubbing it through your hands to make a rough crumble. Sprinkle the topping all over the cooled beef filling.
6. Pop the dish on a baking tray and cook in the hot oven for 35-40 minutes until the crumble topping is risen and golden brown. Then spoon it onto plates and dig in.
This recipe was first published in December 2021.
Average user rating