Save to your scrapbook
Bettina Campolucci Bordi's Ultimate Vegan Burger
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Don`t be afraid of the ingredient list on this recipe – I know it seems long. But these are well worth making and cook beautifully under the grill at this time of year - they’re also great for barbecues in the summer. This is the burger version with improvements from Happy Food. These freeze really well and last a good 4–5 days in the fridge and can be made fresh.
1 onion, chopped
25g pack Cooks Ingredients fresh thyme leaves, chopped
olive oil, for frying
400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp tamari or soy
140g Naked Tofoo tofu, crumbled
50g baby spinac
3 tbsp oats
3 tbsp cooked wholegrain rice
3 tbsp sunflower seeds, chopped
40g Cooks Ingredients gram flour
6 vegan buns such as Essential White Sesame Seed Burger Buns, Waitrose Ciabatta Rolls or Make No Bones Vegan Brioche Buns
6 Violife Vegan Slices
Sliced tomatoes, red onion and lettuce, to serve
For the burger dressing
4 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
1 tsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp chopped cornichons
1 pinch of cayenne
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and thyme for 5 minutes until softened. Add half of the black beans, the mustard, tamari, tofu and cook for a further few minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook for a minute or 2 until wilted.
2. Transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse a few times but make sure the mixture is still chunky and has bite. Transfer to a bowl and add the rest of the black beans, the oats, rice and seeds then mix well together using your hands. Shape the burger mixture into 6 even-sized burgers and chill until ready to cook.
3. Heat a little oil in a large frying pan. Dust the burgers in the gram flour, shaking off any excess then cook in batches for 4 - 5 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Lay a slice of Violife on top of each burger and leave for a moment until it starts to melt.
4. Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the burger dressing.
5. Place the burgers in the bread rolls with some salad and a spoonful of burger dressing.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Mon Dec 14 14:24:37 GMT 2020.
Average user rating