Save to your scrapbook
Bits and bobs eggy bread
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Don’t let those bits and bobs at the back of the fridge go to waste - use them to make a super tasty sandwich!
This is a Full Time: Get Cooking with Marcus and Tom recipe. Premier League footballer Marcus Rashford and chef Tom Kerridge have created the campaign as part of #EndChildFoodPoverty to get families across the country cooking nutritious, low-cost meals.
A small chunk of cheese (about 15g)
1 large egg
1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
A pinch of cayenne pepper
2 slices of bread
1⁄2 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Start by grating the cheese and the mushroom on the fine side of a box grater, then roughly slice up the tomato.
2. Crack the egg onto a plate and add the milk and cayenne pepper, then beat with a fork to combine it all together. Dip the slices of bread into the eggy mixture so that each piece soaks up the egg and milk.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and, once hot, add the slices of bread to the pan and gently fry for a few minutes until browned on one side. Flip the slices over and cook the other side for a few more minutes.
4. Pop the grated cheese, mushroom and tomato on top of one of the slices of bread, and then place the other slice on top. Squash the sandwich together with the back of a spatula and cook gently for a few more minutes until the cheese has melted.
5. Lift the butty onto a plate and slice in half before tucking in.
This recipe was first published in Mon Aug 02 10:01:00 BST 2021.