Save to your scrapbook
Black garlic, Thai-spiced burgers with ginger Shiitake mushrooms
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
4 brioche burger buns
500g beef mince, 15% fat
1 egg, beaten
4 sprigs coriander, chopped, including stems chopped finely
3 sprigs mint, chopped
4 sprigs Thai basil, chopped
1 lime leaf, finely chopped
½ lime, zested
1 or 2 Thai chilies, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
15g ginger, grated
2 tsp fish sauce
Ginger butter mushrooms:
100g Shiitake mushrooms
30g ginger, grated
40g butter, softened
Black garlic mayonnaise:
100g essential Waitrose mayonnaise
4 cloves black garlic
½ lime, juiced
2 large pinches crispy onions
Handful Thai basil and coriander
1. Set the oven to 200°C or if cooking on the BBQ, set for direct heat. In a large bowl, place all the burger ingredients, season with pepper and then gently mix together. Shape the mixture into four patties about 1 inch in thickness then place into the fridge to firm up.
2. To make the ginger mushrooms, mix the softened butter with the ginger and season with salt and pepper. Slice the mushrooms, add to the butter and mix well. Line a small baking tray with parchment and spread the mushroom mix over the base. Roast in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until tender.
3. For the black garlic mayonnaise, squash the black garlic with the flat of a knife until it forms a paste. Add this to the mayonnaise along with the juice of ½ a lime. Mix well and set aside.
4. Heat a frying pan (or grill) and add a good splash of vegetable or sunflower oil. Cook the burger for 10-12 minutes then turn every 2 minutes or so until they are cooked through and the juices are running clear.
5. To serve, slice the burger buns in half and place on the grill, cut side down until lightly toasted. Spread the garlic mayonnaise on both sides of the buns and place the burger on the base. Top with the ginger mushrooms a good pinch of crispy onions, the herbs and finally, the lid of the bun.
This recipe was first published in June 2019.