Save to your scrapbook
Blackberry meringue traybake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 16-20 squares
For the cake
300g caster sugar
300g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
300g self-raising flour
40g ground almonds
6 British Blacktail Free Range Large Eggs, 2 whole, 4 yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
100g blackberries, roughly chopped
50g flaked almonds
For the meringue
4 British Blacktail Free Range Large Egg whites (saved from the cake)
200g caster sugar
For the topping
400ml double cream
2 tbsp caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC, gas mark 3. Grease and line a 20x30cm cake tin.
2. In a bowl, combine all the cake ingredients, except the chopped blackberries and flaked almonds, and whisk for 2 minutes until the mixture is creamy and pale. Pour this into the prepared tin and scatter the blackberries over the top.
3. In another clean bowl, whisk the egg whites for the meringue until forming soft peaks, then slowly add the sugar 1 tbsp at a time, whisking throughout. Whisk for a couple of minutes more until the meringue is glossy and stiff. Spread this on top of the cake mixture, then sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
4. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before removing.
5. To make the topping, whisk the cream with the sugar until it forms soft peaks. Spoon this gently over the cooled cake, then scatter with the berries and serve immediately.
Typical values per serving:
Average user rating