Save to your scrapbook
Blueberry & pistachio buns
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
For the dough
450g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
60g Président Unsalted Butter, diced and chilled
1 tsp salt
60g caster sugar
1½ tsp easy bake yeast
2 Cooks’ Ingredients Unwaxed Lemons, zest
1 British Blacktail Free Range Medium Egg
200ml milk, warmed
For the filling & icing
200g white marzipan
75g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
75g icing sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. For the dough, put the flour in a large bowl, add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it in. Stir in the salt, sugar, yeast and lemon zest. Add the egg and milk. Mix with a round-bladed knife to make a dough.
2. Turn out onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes (5 minutes if using a freestanding mixer with a dough hook), until the dough is smooth and elastic. Put in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean, damp tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour 30 minutes.
3. Take a large square of baking parchment and line a shallow 28x22cm roasting tin, creasing the paper to fit into the corners. Dust the work surface with flour, tip out the dough and roll into a 45x25cm rectangle, keeping the shape neat. Grate the marzipan over the dough in an even layer. Scatter with 200g blueberries and 50g pistachios. Starting from a long edge, roll up the dough to enclose the filling. Cut across into 12 even pieces.
4. Arrange in the tin, cut-side up and evenly spaced. Cover loosely with a clean, damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1 hour-1 hour 30 minutes, until the buns rise to fill the gaps between them. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6.
5. Scatter the buns with the remaining blueberries and nuts. Bake for 30 minutes until pale golden. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. In a bowl, beat the icing sugar with the lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over the buns and serve, ideally while warm.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 25 12:47:49 GMT 2021.