Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Our twist on a rich red curry.
Soy lightens the dish while the roasted aubergine adds real depth of flavour.
• 2 aubergines
• 6 tbsp vegetable oil
• handful Thai basil leaves
• 3 lime leaves
• 20g caster sugar
• 220ml coconut milk
• 80g fine green beans, trimmed and halved
• 2 salad onions, cut into 3cm pieces
• 50ml soy sauce
• 80ml coconut cream
• 2 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
• small pinch of cumin seeds, toasted
• 4 lemongrass stalks, peeled and cut into 0.2cm slices
• 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
• 1 red chilli, chopped
• ½ shallot, roughly chopped
• 18g galangal paste (or fresh and finely chopped)
• ¼ tsp ground white pepper
• 2 tsp coarse sea salt
• 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
• ½ large red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally
• small handful Thai basil leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. Start with the paste. Grind the coriander and cumin seeds to a fine powder in a spice grinder or pestle and mortar. Transfer to a blender with the remaining paste ingredients and blitz until smooth. You may need to add 3-4 tbsp water and scrape down the sides occasionally.
2. Prepare the aubergines. Cut each one lengthways into 10-12 wedges and make deep incisions in the flesh of each wedge at 1-2cm intervals. Put on a baking tray and drizzle with 3 tbsp oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes, until soft but still holding their shape. Don’t worry if the edges burn slightly.
3. Put the remaining 3 tbsp oil in a pan set over a low heat. Add the paste, basil, lime leaves and sugar; fry for 2-3 minutes. Increase the heat to high; stir in the coconut milk, beans, salad onions and soy. Turn the heat down to low, add the coconut cream and simmer until cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Put the roasted aubergine in a serving dish and pour over the curry sauce. Garnish with the red chilli and basil leaves just before serving.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Jan 21 09:42:00 GMT 2016.
Average user rating