Save to your scrapbook
Chetna Makan's chocolate cupcakes
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
80ml sunflower oil
160g golden caster sugar
2 British Blacktail Free Range Large Eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
For the ganache:
200g dark chocolate, 72% cocoa
50g unsalted butter
200g double cream
Mini chocolate eggs, to decorate
For the marshmallow topping:
100g caster sugar
2 tbsp golden syrup
2 British Blacktail Free Range Large Eggs, whites only
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4 and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
2. In a bowl, combine the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes with an electric whisk. In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the cupcake ingredients and then add this to the egg mixture and whisk until combined well.
3. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 15-18 minutes until set. Remove them from the tray immediately and cool on a rack.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the ganache. Heat the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl over a pan of hot water until they have melted. Let it cool for a few seconds, then pour in the cream and whisk it together. Set aside to cool.
5. For the marshmallow topping, heat the sugar, syrup and 2 tbsp water in a small saucepan until it reaches a soft ball point – around 118°C.
6. In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and slowly drizzle the sugar syrup into the egg mix while still whisking. Continue to whisk until the mixture is glossy and slightly cooled. Spoon into a disposable piping bag and cut a 1cm round off the tip of the bag.
7. Pour the ganache into a piping bag and cut a 1cm round off the tip of the bag. Pipe over cooled cupcakes then pipe a tall swirl of marshmallow mixture on top of the ganache. Finish each cupcake with a chocolate egg.
Try blow torching the marshmallow tops of the cupcakes before decorating with the chocolate eggs.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in March 2021.