Save to your scrapbook
Chinese-spiced turkey pies recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
This is a novel leftover-turkey dish; just make sure that the meat is finely shredded so it soaks up all the juices
500ml fresh chicken stock
6 salad onions, finely chopped
6 prunes, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and nely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
30g fresh root ginger, finely grated
1 tbsp shaoxing rice wine
2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
4 tbsp black bean sauce
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
800g cooked turkey, finely shredded (skin and bones removed)
1 lime, juice
25g unsalted butter
275g strong white bread our
150ml whole milk
1⁄2 tsp salt
1 tbsp easy bake yeast
1 egg, beaten
olive oil, for greasing
1 egg yolk, to glaze
1. For the pastry, put the butter in a pan with 100g our, 100ml milk and 100ml water. Set over a medium heat and stir constantly for about 3-5 minutes, or until the mixture resembles a thick paste. Cool for 5 minutes, until warm but not hot.
2. Put the remaining 175g our in a large bowl with the salt and yeast, then add the cooked paste, remaining 50ml milk and the beaten egg. Bring together to form a soft dough, then knead for 10-15 minutes, or until very smooth. Form the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl or plastic bag. Cover and leave to prove until doubled in size – about 1 hour.
3. For the filling, pour the stock into a pan and add the remaining ingredients, apart from the turkey and lime juice, and bring to the boil. Add the shredded turkey and bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat. Season, stir in the lime juice and leave to cool completely.
4. Divide the turkey mixture between 6 x 400ml pie dishes. Knock back the dough and divide into 6 pieces. Roll out each piece to t the top of the pie dishes (about 0.5cm thick). Brush the pie dish rims with water and lay the lids on top. Set aside and leave to prove again for 30-40 minutes, until risen and puffed up.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C, gas mark 4. Brush the pies all over with the egg yolk and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if liked. Set the pies on a large baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden. Serve with steamed kale, if liked.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in November 2016.