Save to your scrapbook
Corn pancakes with avocado salsa
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g sweetcorn, fresh or frozen
100g plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 British Blacktail Medium Free Range Egg
25g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
1 avocado, cubed
½ red chilli, finely chopped
½ lime, juice
6 rashers streaky bacon, grilled
1. Cook the sweetcorn for 6-7 minutes in a small pan of boiling water until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water to cool. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour with the caster sugar, polenta, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Beat together the buttermilk,
egg and melted butter in a measuring jug.
2. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and slowly pour in the wet ingredients, whisking all the time. Continue to mix until a smooth batter forms with no lumps, then fold through most of the sweetcorn.
3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and grease very lightly with butter, wiping out any excess with kitchen paper. Spoon a few teaspoons of mixture into the pan as a mini ‘test pancake’ and see how it cooks. Adjust the pan temperature accordingly. Repeat if necessary.
4. When the pan is at the right temperature, spoon 2 tbsp of batter into the centre of the pan and spread into a circle shape. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until bubbles start to appear and the underside of the pancake is golden, then carefully flip over and cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until spongy and cooked through. Transfer to a warm plate and cook the rest of the batter in the same way to give 6 pancakes, greasing the pan with butter as needed.
5. Combine the avocado, chilli, lime juice and remaining sweetcorn in a small bowl, then spoon over the pancakes. Top with hot, grilled bacon and serve immediately.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in September 2020.