Save to your scrapbook
Creamy roast chicken
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 large chicken, untrussed, about 1.7kg
1 medium bulb garlic
1kg baby new potatoes, chopped in half
2 red onions, peeled, cut into 16 wedges
2 tbsp olive oil
24 cherry tomatoes, on the vine if possible
250g soft cheese
20g pack tarragon, leaves only, finely chopped
25g pack chives, finely chopped
25g pack basil, leaves only, finely chopped
½ x 25g pack mint, leaves only, finely chopped
Rocket, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the chicken on a roasting tray. Tightly wrap the garlic bulb in foil and sit it next to the chicken. Roast the chicken according to the pack instructions.
2. Put the potatoes and onion wedges on a second baking tray and toss in the olive oil until well coated. Season generously. When the chicken has 45 minutes cooking time remaining, place the potatoes in the oven and roast for 35 minutes. Then give them one last toss and arrange the tomatoes on top. Return to the oven and roast for the final 8-10 minutes until the tomatoes are just starting to split, but still holding their shape.
3. Meanwhile, mix together the cream cheese and chopped herbs, and season well. Stir in about 75ml warm water or enough to loosen to the consistency of lightly whipped double cream.
4. When the chicken is cooked through, there is no pink meat and the juices run clear, remove it from the oven and leave to rest. When cool enough to handle remove the cooked garlic from the foil and squeeze it into the herb mixture, then stir it all together to form a smooth sauce.
5. Serve the roast chicken with the creamy garlic herb sauce and a large bowl of fresh rocket.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Sep 01 14:11:00 BST 2015.
Average user rating