Save to your scrapbook
Donna Hay's burnt butter & salted maple sticky buns
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 1⁄4 tsp dry yeast
160ml lukewarm milk
2 1⁄2 tbsp maple syrup
485g all purpose plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/4 tsp table salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
125g unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp black sea salt flakes
For the maple glaze
160ml maple syrup
120g light brown sugar
150g unsalted butter, chopped
For the burnt butter filling
125g unsalted butter, chopped
135g light brown sugar
2 tsp ground allspice
1. Place the yeast, milk and 2 teaspoons of the maple syrup in a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside in a warm place for 5 minutes or until the surface is foamy. Place the flour, table salt, egg, butter, the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and the yeast mixture in the bowl of an electric mixer with a dough hook attached. Beat on a low speed for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with a clean damp tea towel and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
2. To make the maple glaze, place the maple syrup, sugar and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and smooth. Pour half the glaze into a 20cm x 30cm slice tin. Reserve and set aside the remaining glaze.
3. To make the burnt butter filling, place the butter in a small non-stick frying pan over high heat and stir until melted. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown with a nutty fragrance. Transfer to a medium bowl, add the sugar and allspice and mix to combine.
4. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to make a 25cm x 60cm rectangle. Spread with the filling, leaving a 1cm border. Starting from 1 long edge, roll up the dough tightly to enclose. Trim the edges. Slice into 12 even pieces. Arrange the buns in the tin on top of the glaze. Cover with a damp tea towel. Set side for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Bake the sticky buns for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Gently warm the remaining glaze over low heat. Pour over the buns and sprinkle with the salt to serve.
This recipe was first published in Thu Nov 01 14:26:03 GMT 2018.