Save to your scrapbook
Donna Hay's raspberry swirl pavlova with vanilla bean cream & passion fruit
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Passion fruit curd:
3 medium British Blacktail Free Range Eggs
2 medium British Blacktail Free Range Egg yolks
220g caster sugar
125ml passion fruit pulp (about 6 fruit)
2 tbsp lemon juice
150g unsalted butter, cubed
For the raspberry jam:
150g frozen raspberries, thawed
75g caster sugar
For the meringues:
190ml egg whites (from 5–6 large Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs)
¾ tsp cream of tartar
500g caster sugar
300ml whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla bean paste
30 fresh raspberries
small mint leaves
1. To make the passion fruit curd, place the eggs with the egg yolks, sugar, passion fruit and lemon juice in a pan over a medium heat, and cook, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Gradually add the butter, stirring, until melted. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring for a further 2-3 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Immediately pour into a shallow dish and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set.
2. To make the raspberry jam, purée the raspberries with a stick blender, strain and discard the seeds. Pour the seedless purée into a pan and stir in the sugar. Over a medium heat bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until the jam reaches 99°C. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
3. To make the Italian meringues, preheat oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Place the egg whites and cream of tartar into the bowl of a stand mixer, and whisk on a medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
4. Combine the sugar with 125ml water in a small pan over high heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves (use a wet brush to wipe down the sides of the pan). Bring to the boil. Insert a thermometer and bring to 121°C. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to 117°C, then slowly pour into the egg whites, whisking constantly. Once all the syrup has been incorporated, whisk for a further 5 minutes, until thick and glossy. Spoon the mixture onto 2 baking trays lined with baking parchment, making 6 individual meringues, and smooth the tops with a palette knife.
5. Top each meringue with 1 tsp raspberry jam and use a skewer to swirl this through the meringue. Turn the oven down to 120°C, gas mark ½, and bake for 10 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave to cool completely.
6. Finally, whisk the cream with the vanilla bean paste. Place a spoonful of the vanilla bean cream into the centre of each meringue. Add a spoonful of the passion fruit curd and top with 5-6 fresh raspberries and a scattering of small mint leaves. Serve with the remaining raspberry jam and passion fruit curd, or store chilled in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Typical values per serving: