Save to your scrapbook
Elly Pear's six-minute eggs on toasted rye with buttered greens & tahini yogurt
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g Greek-style yogurt
1 clove garlic, finely grated or crushed
200g pack baby leaf greens (or spring greens)
4 Clarence Court Burford Browns Free Range Eggs
4 slices Waitrose 1 Rye And Wheat Dark Sourdough Bread
2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil. Mix together the yogurt, tahini, garlic and a pinch of salt in a bowl and whisk until well combined and smooth. Set aside.
2. Trim off the base of the greens and then cut the whole head into wide ribbons and wash in warm water. Shake to remove most of the water (it should still be damp).
3. When the water is boiling, use a slotted spoon to carefully lower in the eggs – still in their shells – and set the timer for 6 minutes. Meanwhile, toast the bread.
4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan or wok and once melted and starting to foam, add the damp greens and stir fry for a minute. When wilted, but still al dente, remove from the heat and cover the pan to keep warm.
5. When the timer goes off, take the eggs off the heat and pour away the hot water. Run some cold water over the eggs to stop them cooking and make them cool enough to handle. Leave them to one side while you spread the yogurt over the toast. Use tongs to pile on some buttered greens and then peel the eggs (doing this under running water helps) and cut them in half. Sit on top of the greens and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Season and serve.
This recipe was first published in Tue Aug 20 12:12:00 BST 2019.
Average user rating