Save to your scrapbook
Fresh mint & white chocolate ice cream
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Makes: 1L Serves: 12
2 x 25g packs mint
300ml whole milk
450ml double cream
6 British Blacktail Free Range Medium Egg, yolks
125g caster sugar
200g white chocolate, chopped
2 tsp vegetable oil
1. Bring a small pan of water to boil and prepare a separate bowl of iced water. Hold the mint by the stems and dip the leaves into the boiling water. Submerge for 30 seconds, then plunge into the iced water. Leave for a few minutes then remove and dry.
2. Place the mint leaves (discarding the stems) into a blender with the milk. Blitz for a few minutes until the mint is finely chopped and the milk has a lovely green hue.
3. Pour the mint-infused milk into a large saucepan and add the double cream. Warm over a low heat until steaming (don’t boil). Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and beginning to lighten in colour.
4. Once the milk is hot, slowly pour it into the egg mixture, whisking all the time. When smooth, pour back into the pan and use a spatula to
stir over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes, or until it can coat the back of a spoon.
5. Remove from the heat, add half the chocolate and stir until melted. Pour into a jug, cool slightly, then cover the surface directly with baking parchment to stop a skin forming and chill for at least 1 hour before churning.
6. Using an ice-cream machine, churn the mixture according to manufacturer’s instructions. Five minutes before it’s ready, melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave. Stir in the oil, then drizzle over the set ice cream as you layer into a freezerproof container (it will set into shards as it cools). Pour the remaining chocolate onto the top, then freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
Martha’s tip You can freeze the mixture in a freezerproof container, beating thoroughly every hour for 3-4 hours, until smooth and starting to set. Swirl some of the melted chocolate and oil mixture through the ice cream, then top with the remainder, as above.
Typical values per serving:
(for 12) vegetarian
This recipe was first published in Tue Apr 13 13:53:13 BST 2021.