Save to your scrapbook
Diana Henry's herring in a fur coat
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
450g waxy potatoes
3 x 275g jars Elsinore Herrings In Dill Marinade, drained
¼ red onion, very finely chopped
3 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp finely chopped dill, plus extra sprigs for serving
440g cooked beetroot
2 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp soured cream
2 small eating apples (250g)
Juice of 1 lemon
4 British Blacktail Large Free Range Eggs, hardboiled
1. Steam or boil the potatoes in their skins for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Leave to cool then slip off the skins. Dice and season.
2. Dice the fish and mix with the onion, oil and dill.
3. Grate the beetroot. Mix half with the mayonnaise and soured cream. Quarter, core and dice the apples and toss them into the lemon juice to prevent discolouration.
4. Peel the cooled, hardboiled eggs, then separate the whites and yolks. Push the yolks through a sieve and chop the whites, keeping both in separate bowls.
5. Either layer the ingredients in a glass bowl or serve individual portions using a 10cm pastry cutter to create a mould in which you can layer everything (then carefully remove the ring). Layer in this order: potatoes, herring with onions, apple, plain beetroot then beetroot with mixed mayonnaise and soured cream. Finish with the egg whites and then yolks and decorate with sprigs of dill.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Tue Dec 17 09:09:02 GMT 2019.