Save to your scrapbook
Homemade hash browns
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A homemade version of a café breakfast classic. This hash brown is tasty and filling. Here we’ve added fried eggs and brown sauce, but you can whack anything you like on top.
This is a Full Time: Get Cooking with Marcus and Tom recipe. Premier League footballer Marcus Rashford and chef Tom Kerridge have created the campaign as part of #EndChildFoodPoverty to get families across the country cooking nutritious, low-cost meals.
3 medium potatoes, skin on
¼ white cabbage
½ tsp salt
2 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp flour
1 tsp black pepper
2 large eggs
Barbecue or brown sauce to serve
1. Start by peeling the onion, keeping it whole. Then, using a grater, coarsely grate the onion, potatoes and cabbage and place in the centre of a clean tea-towel. Sprinkle over the salt and tumble it all together. Leave for 10 minutes to draw out the liquid from the vegetables and potato.
2. Bring the corners of the tea towel together and squeeze it tightly to remove as much moisture as possible. Keep squeezing until the potato, cabbage and onion are dry, then transfer to a bowl and stir in ½ tbsp of the vegetable oil, the flour and black pepper. Give it a good mix so it all comes together.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil in a medium non-stick frying pan. Once hot, tip in the potato mixture, pressing it down evenly into the base and edges of the pan. Cook over a medium-high heat for around 8-10 minutes, until it’s crispy and brown underneath. Carefully, flip the hash brown - using a plate to help turn it over - and continue cooking the other side for another 8-10 minutes. Once cooked, remove the hash brown from the pan.
4. Now fry the eggs. Wipe out the pan with some kitchen paper and then add 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil. Once hot, crack the eggs into the frying pan and leave to cook for a couple of minutes, until the whites are starting to crisp around the edges, but the yolk is runny.
5. Finally, slice up the hash brown and pop it on a couple of plates. Whack an egg on each, add a little more black pepper and drizzle with your favourite sauce. Now get stuck in!
This recipe was first published in Tue Jun 01 15:34:40 BST 2021.