Save to your scrapbook
Honey & pistachio bundt cake recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
This squidgy, nutty cake, drenched in a honey citrus syrup, fits the bill nicely when you’re after something different from all
the traditional dried fruit-heavy, festive baking. Delicious with a spoonful of Greek yogurt and a steaming cup of fresh mint tea.
150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra, melted, for greasing
250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
100g shelled pistachios
50g ground almonds
125g caster sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 orange, zest
1 lemon, zest
100g orange blossom honey
1-2 tsp rosewater
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
6 cardamom pods, seeds crushed using a pestle and mortar
2 tbsp chopped pistachios
For the honey syrup:
4 tbsp honey
1 orange, juice
1 lemon, juice
1. Preheat the oven to 170 ̊C, gas mark 3. Brush the inside of a 25-27cm bundt tin with a little melted butter, making sure it is thoroughly and evenly coated. Dust with plain flour and tip out the excess flour.
2. Blitz 100g shelled pistachios in the food processor until very finely chopped, add the ground almonds and whizz to just combine. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and caster sugar until really pale and light (this will take about 3-4 minutes in a freestanding mixer). Add the egg yolks one at a time, scraping down the bowl with a spatula between each addition.
3. Add the orange and lemon zest, honey and rosewater and mix again. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, crushed cardamom seeds and a generous pinch of salt into the bowl. Add the nut mixture and buttermilk and beat in for another 30-40 seconds.
4. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Add 1⁄4 of the egg whites to the cake batter and combine to loosen the mixture. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the remaining egg whites. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin, level with the back of a spoon and bake for 45-50 minutes, just below the middle shelf, until golden brown and well risen.
5. Leave to cool in the tin for 3-4 minutes, then carefully turn out and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Transfer to a plate. 6 For the syrup, tip the ingredients into a small pan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for about 5 minutes, until reduced by half and thickened. Slowly brush or spoon the syrup over the cooled cake. Scatter with the pistachios and serve warm or at room temperature.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Fri Nov 13 16:02:00 GMT 2015.
Average user rating