Save to your scrapbook
Honey, pistachio & cardamom cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
150g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
125g pistachio kernels, plus 25g to decorate
100g wholemeal plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 British Blacktail Medium Eggs (any size)
Crème fraîche or Greek yogurt, to serve
For the rhubarb
400g rhubarb, washed and cut into 3cm pieces
1/2 orange, zest and juice
3 cardamom pods, crushed open with the side of a knife
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, gas mark 6. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with parchment paper. Warm the butter and honey in a pan over a low heat until the butter has just melted, then set aside to cool.
2. Whizz 125g pistachios in a food processor until well ground, then add the flour, baking powder, ¼ tsp salt and pulse to combine. Pour in the cooled butter mixture and the eggs. Whizz again, until well combined.
3. Pour into the prepared tin, then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool in the tin, on a wire rack.
4. Meanwhile, place the rhubarb, honey, orange zest and juice and cardamom into an ovenproof dish. Stir well to combine and bake (still at 200ºC, gas mark 6), for 15 minutes, or until the rhubarb softens. Set aside to cool, then remove and discard the cardamom pods.
5. Prick the top of the cake all over with a skewer and spoon the rhubarb with its juice over the cake. Leave a few minutes for the juices to soak in thoroughly before moving the cake to a plate or stand. Chop the remaining 25g pistachios and scatter over the cake. Serve with crème fraîche, if liked.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in March 2022.
Average user rating