Save to your scrapbook
Hot & Sour Melon Salad
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
• 1 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
• 11⁄2 tbsp maple syrup
• 80g cashews
• 2 limes, juice
• 11⁄2 tbsp vegetarian fish sauce
• 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
• 1⁄2 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
• 1 Thai red chilli (deseeded, if liked), finely sliced
• 1⁄2 Waitrose & Partners Piel de Sapo Melon, skin removed and sliced (about 500g prepared weight)
• 300g shredded red or green cabbage (about 1⁄2 small cabbage)
• 200g cucumber, sliced (about 1⁄2 cucumber)
• 1⁄2 red onion, finely sliced
• Handful each coriander and Thai basil leaves, roughly torn
1. Preheat the oven to 180oC, gas mark 4. Mix the soy sauce and 1⁄2 tbsp maple syrup in a bowl. Add the cashews, making sure they are well coated. Spread out on a small foil-lined baking tray and roast for 6-8 minutes until golden; set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
2. Meanwhile, mix the remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup with the lime juice, vegetarian fish sauce, garlic, ginger and chilli to make a dressing. Add more maple syrup, lime juice, vegetarian fish sauce or chilli to taste – it should be hot, sour and slightly sweet.
3. Arrange the melon, cabbage, cucumber, red onion and herbs on individual plates or a large platter. Scatter with the cashews and serve with the dressing.
Cook’s tip If you’re not vegan, try adding some cooked prawns to this salad for extra protein.
Typical values per serving: