Save to your scrapbook
JB Gill's salmon fishcakes & sweet-potato fries
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Former JLS pop star JB Gill is now a farmer in Kent and ambassador for The Prince’s Countryside Fund
400g Waitrose Duchy Organic Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
400g Waitrose Duchy Organic Salmon Fillet, skinned
200ml Waitrose Duchy Organic Whole Milk
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp Waitrose Duchy Organic Plain White Flour
1 medium Waitrose Duchy Organic British Free Range Egg, lightly beaten
75g Kellogg’s Rice Krispies, crushed into crumbs
750g pack Waitrose Duchy Organic Sweet Potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1cm-thick chips
2 tbsp organic sunflower oil
1. Place the potatoes in boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain and roughly mash. Leave to cool.
2. Meanwhile, put the salmon and milk into a microwave-safe dish, cover and microwave on high power for 2-3 minutes (or poach the fish in the milk in a deep frying pan over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes) until just cooked. Remove the fish from the milk with a slotted spoon and leave until cool enough to handle. Mix with the mash, herbs and seasoning. Shape into 4 fishcakes.
3. Dip the fishcakes into the flour; shake off any excess then dip into the beaten egg. Finally, dip into the Rice Krispies crumbs and coat well. Repeat with the other cakes, then chill for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 200°C, gas mark 6. Toss the sweet potato chips with 1 tbsp oil and seasoning in a roasting tin. Bake for 20 minutes, turn over, then cook for a further 10 minutes, until golden.
5. Pour the remaining oil onto another baking tray, add the fishcakes and turn to coat. Bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp and piping hot throughout. Serve with the sweet potato fries on the side.
This recipe was first published in September 2017.