Save to your scrapbook
Roast turkey with herb & smoked bacon butter recipe | Waitrose
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
Serves: 8 - 10
1 medium fresh bronze free range turkey (approx 5kg)
1 clementine, halved
1 cinnamon stick
1 bulb garlic, halved horizontally
2 x 20g packs thyme
6 rashers Waitrose Thin Cut Hickory Smoked Streaky Bacon
125g butter, softened
½ tbsp maple syrup
20g pack sage, leaves only, finely chopped
½ x 25g pack parsley, finely chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Calculate the cooking time of the turkey, allowing 35 minutes per kg. Remove the giblets from the turkey cavity and set aside if using for stock. Season inside the cavity, then fill with the clementine, cinnamon stick, garlic and one pack of thyme.
2. Warm a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the bacon for 8 minutes until golden and crisp, then remove from the pan and allow to cool before chopping finely. Add the chopped bacon to the butter, along with the maple syrup, sage, parsley and lemon zest. Season generously.
3. Using your hands and starting at the neck end, loosen the skin of the turkey to separate it from the breast. Push the flavoured butter up under the skin, spreading it out until the breast is covered.
4. Place the turkey in a large roasting tin. Season well, then pour 500ml cold water around the bird. Loosely cover with foil, then cook in the oven for the calculated time. Thirty minutes before the end of cooking remove the foil, top the turkey with the remaining thyme sprigs and baste well.
5. Return to the oven and continue to cook until golden, there is no pink meat and the juices run clear. Remove your turkey from the oven and leave to rest in a warm place, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, before carving.
Typical values per serving:
To serve 8