Save to your scrapbook
Dhruv Baker's Beef rendang
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 pack Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients Lemon Grass, roughly chopped
2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
5 red chillies, sliced
5cm piece root ginger, peeled and grated
2 bay leaves
5 green cardamom pods
2 star anise
4 whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
4 x 500g packs essential Waitrose British Beef Diced Braising Steak
2 x 400ml cans Cooks’ Ingredients Organic Coconut Milk
160ml can essential Waitrose Coconut Cream
500ml beef stock
1. Crush the lemon grass in a pestle and mortar or in a small food processor and set aside.
2. Dry-fry the coriander and cumin seeds and the turmeric over a low heat for a minute or two. Grind until smooth in a pestle and mortar or small food processor and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in the same pan and add the onions, garlic, chillies, ginger and lemongrass. Cook gently until the onions have softened, then add the ground spices and bay leaves. Cook for another 5 minutes, taking care not to let the mixture stick or burn. Wrap the cardamom, star anise and cloves in a piece of muslin and add to the pan with the cinnamon sticks. This makes them easier to find and remove before serving.
4. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a separate pan and sear the beef in batches until brown on all sides. Return the beef to the pan and tip in the onion and spice mixture. Stir well for a few minutes, until the beef is coated with the spice mixture. Pour in the coconut milk and cream with the stock, and add the hot stock.
5. Gently simmer for at least 1½ hours, or as long as 3 hours if you like, stirring occasionally until the sauce becomes thick and coats the meat. Before serving remove and discard the cinnamon stick and muslin pouch. Serve with steamed rice and some broccoli or spring greens sautéed with ginger and garlic and dressed with a little sesame oil.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in Thu Mar 31 12:34:00 BST 2011.
Average user rating