Save to your scrapbook
Whole roasted cauliflower cheese
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp hot paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large cauliflower
½ lemon, juice
20g unsalted butter
20g plain flour
300ml whole milk
60g grated cheddar cheese
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
20g grated parmigiano reggiano
½ x 25g pack flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C, gas mark 4. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, cumin, paprika and olive oil; season. Trim the outer leaves and stalk of the cauliflower so it can sit flat, then cut a cross into the base. Rub the paprika paste all over the cauliflower, then place in a medium-sized casserole dish, stalk-side down. Drizzle over the lemon juice and a splash of water. Cover and roast for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and cook, uncovered, for a further 20 minutes, until tender.
2. Meanwhile, make a white sauce with the butter, flour and milk (see below). Stir through the cheddar until melted; season. When the cauliflower is cooked, set the grill to high (about 220˚C). Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower and drizzle with the Worcestershire sauce. Scatter over the grated parmesan and grill in the casserole for 3-5 minutes, until golden. Serve immediately, scattered with parsley, if liked.
1. Melt 20g unsalted butter in a small pan over a gentle heat, then stir in 20g plain flour. When combined into a paste, cook for 1 minute, stirring, until starting to turn white at the edges. This means the flour is cooked.
2. Turn the heat down to its lowest setting. Stir in 300ml milk, a little at a time, waiting for the milk to be incorporated into a smooth paste before adding a little more. Stir constantly to avoid lumps forming.
3. When the milk is incorporated, turn the heat up a little and keep stirring while the sauce comes to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute (still stirring), then take off the heat, season and add any flavourings, such as grated cheese, parsley or mustard powder.
This recipe first appeared in Waitrose Food, September 2018 issue. Download the Waitrose Food app for the full issue
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in August 2018.