Save to your scrapbook
Martha Collison's mixed peel polenta cake
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
3 Waitrose British Blacktail Medium Free Range Eggs
200g ground almonds
100g polenta or cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
Finely grated zest 1 orange
75g mixed peel
FOR THE SYRUP
3 tbsp caster sugar
Juice of 1 orange
FOR THE SUGARED PEEL
25g mixed peel
1 tsp granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20cm loose-bottomed tin with baking parchment.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Stir in the dry ingredients and beat until smooth, then fold in the orange zest and mixed peel.
3. Scrape the batter into the prepared tin and level the surface, place on a baking tray. Bake for 50-55 minutes until risen and fairly firm (it will have a very slight wobble in the middle). Test the cake using a skewer – it should come out clean when inserted into the centre.
4. While the cake is baking, make the orange syrup. Place the sugar and juice of the orange into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for 1 minute, then remove from the heat. When the cake is baked, remove from the oven and, while still hot, brush the warm syrup all over it, then leave to cool completely on a wire rack. The cake may sink slightly in the centre, but this is normal for polenta cakes.
5. To finish, make the sugared peel by shaking together the candied mixed peel and granulated sugar in a sealed ziplock bag until well coated. Sprinkle over the top of the cake, then serve generous slices as a delicious dessert.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in February 2018.