Chicken agrodolce salad
Agrodolce translates to sweet and sour or bittersweet. This punchy marinade has the power to transform leftover roast chicken into something very special.
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook5 mins
- Total time20 mins
- Pluscooling, marinating
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 strip pared unwaxed lemon zest
- 1 strip pared (scrubbed) orange zest
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cooked chicken thighs or 1/2 a cooked medium chicken, meat picked off the bone and shredded
- 50g toasted pine nuts
- 120g medjool dates, stones removed and finely chopped
- 8 sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 x 25g pack basil, roughly torn
- 90g pack rocket
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus extra to serve
Put the vinegar in a medium pan over a medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add the sugar, lemon zest, orange zest and bay leaf; bring back up to a simmer. Give it a stir to make sure all the sugar has dissolved, then take the pan off the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Put the chicken, pine nuts and dates in a large bowl. Strain the infused vinegar over the mixture (discarding the bay leaf and zests) and mix well. Cover and put in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours or, even better, overnight.
When ready to serve, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix together thoroughly; season. Divide between the plates and serve with a grinding of black pepper and some more grated cheese sprinkled on top.
And to drink...
TO DRINK ColleMassari Montecucco Rosso Riserva, Tuscany, Italy* (£14.99/75cl) This well-balanced, cherry-scented wine stands up well to the sweet and sour agrodolce and chicken.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe