Triple-citrus loaf cake
Elly Curshen's delicious bake keeps extremely well – it will be fine in an airtight container for up to five days.
- Prepare15 mins
- Cook55 mins
- Total time1 hr 10 mins
- 120ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 175ml unsweetened almond or oat milk alternative
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Waitrose Duchy Organic Orange, finely grated zest and 3 tbsp juice
- 1 tbsp Cooks' Ingredients Yuzu Juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 225g plain flour
- 75g Waitrose Duchy Organic Stoneground Wholemeal Plain Flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- 180g light brown muscovado sugar
- 1 unwaxed lime, finely grated zest
For the glaze
- 170g icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp citrus juice (use an equal quantity of lime, orange and yuzu)
Preheat the oven to 170°C, gas mark 3. Grease a 900g loaf tin with a little olive oil and place a long strip of baking paper into it lengthways. This will help you lift out the baked cake. Stir together the milk alternative and vinegar in a small bowl then set aside for 10 minutes – it will curdle slightly and can then be used as a buttermilk replacement.
Meanwhile, place the olive oil, orange juice, yuzu juice and vanilla in a large jug and whisk to combine. In a large mixing bowl, sieve in the flours to aerate (tip any wholemeal goodness caught in the sieve into the bowl too), then add the baking powder, sugar, a pinch of salt and the orange and lime zest. Whisk to combine. Use your fingertips to crumble any clumps of sugar into the mixture.
Add the buttermilk alternative to the jug of wet ingredients. Mix well, then add the liquid to the bowl of dry ingredients bit by bit. Use a spatula to gently combine. Do not overmix. As soon as the mixture is consistent, stop.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before lifting onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Whisk the glaze ingredients together until smooth, then spoon over the cake, allowing it to drizzle down the sides. Leave to set.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe