Winter slaw with honey-roasted cashews
Lots of colour, texture and flavour come together in this much-loved seasonal slaw, which goes beautifully with prawns or roast chicken. Just don’t skip the honey cashews – they add a really special sweet and salty crunch to this recipe by Honey & Co.
- Prepare20 mins
- Cook5 mins
- Total time25 mins
- 1 small (about 500g) red cabbage, shredded
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks (or coarsely grated)
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 25g pack coriander, leave chopped
- ½ x 25g mint, leaves roughly chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mirin Rice Wine
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 100g Roasted cashew nuts
In a large bowl, combine the shredded cabbage and the salt and mix well with your hands to start softening it; cover and set aside for about 1 hour (or cover and chill overnight).
Add the rest of the slaw ingredients to the cabbage; mix well and put in a large serving bowl. For the topping, heat the honey and sesame oil in a frying pan over a low heat, add the cashews and a pinch of sea salt flakes and mix to coat. Scatter the warm nuts and extra mint leaves over the slaw to serve.
And to drink...
Chardonnay, New Zealand - Fresh and creamy, with nectarine and mandarin
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe