Save to your scrapbook
Chicken shawarma with easy flatbreads
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
1 Essential Lemon, zest and juice, plus wedges, to serve
150ml Essential Greek Style Yogurt, plus 2 tbsp
2 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Shawarma Spice Blend
6 Essential British Chicken Thigh Fillets
200g Essential Self-raising White Flour, plus extra
½ red cabbage (about 400g), very thinly sliced
1 small Essential Red Onion, very thinly sliced
5 radishes, very thinly sliced
1 tsp nigella seeds, or black sesame seeds
1 tbsp Essential Olive Oil
½ x 25g pack fresh mint
1. Put the lemon zest and half the juice in a large bowl. Stir in 2 tbsp yogurt and the spice blend. Using tongs or a fork, add the chicken to the yogurt mixture, turning until evenly coated. If time allows, cover and chill for up to 2 hours.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the remaining 150ml yogurt, the flour and a pinch of salt. Using your hands, bring the mixture together to make a soft dough. Lightly flour the work surface and knead the dough for 2-3 minutes until smooth. Return to the bowl and cover.
3. Stir together the cabbage, red onion, radishes and the remaining lemon juice.
4. Preheat the grill to medium. Transfer the chicken to a foil-lined grill pan and cook for 10 minutes on each side until nicely browned, thoroughly cooked, the juices run clear and no pink meat remains.
5. Meanwhile, divide the dough into 4 balls and roll each out to a rough 20-23cm round. Sprinkle over a few nigella seeds and roll them into the dough. Heat a nonstick frying pan and cook the bread for 2 minutes on each side until puffed and lightly browned. Drizzle each with a little olive oil and put on serving plates.
6. Slice the chicken, pile on top of the bread with the cabbage slaw then scatter with mint leaves. Serve with a lemon wedge on the side.
Typical values per serving:
1 of your 5 a day/high in protein
This recipe was first published in Tue Apr 21 12:35:51 BST 2020.