Save to your scrapbook
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
A gloriously rich side.
• 260g pack spinach
• 30g unsalted butter
• 1 shallot, very finely sliced
• 1 garlic clove, very finely sliced
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• 6 tbsp whole milk
• 2 tbsp Philadelphia soft cheese
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• pinch freshly grated nutmeg
• 2 tbsp parmigiano reggiano
1. Put the spinach in a colander, pour over just-boiled water to wilt, and refresh under cold water. Wring out, pat dry on kitchen paper, roughly chop and set aside.
2. Heat the butter in a frying pan set over a medium-low heat. Sauté the shallot and garlic very gently for 8 minutes, until soft. Stir in the flour; cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the milk 1 tbsp at a time, until loose. Stir in the soft cheese, until the sauce is thick.
3. Preheat the grill to high. Stir the spinach, lemon juice, nutmeg and 1 tbsp parmesan into the sauce; season. Transfer to a small ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the remaining 1 tbsp parmesan and grill for 2 minutes.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in January 2016.