Boneless gammon joint
Cut from the hind leg of the pig, gammon is cured in brine while it is still attached to a side of pork. Choose from an unsmoked boneless British gammon joint or a smoked boneless British gammon joint at Waitrose. When buying a gammon joint allow 150-170g per person.
A gammon joint can be cooked by boiling or a combination of boiling and baking. Cooked gammon can be served hot, traditionally with parsley sauce or cold as part of a buffet with a selection of cold meats.
Keep in the fridge in the original wrapping or in a covered container, below and away from cooked foods and any ready to eat food. Store until the use by date. To freeze, freeze on the day of purchase for up to 1 month. To defrost, remove from the original packaging and place on a plate or tray and cover. Defrost thoroughly in the bottom of the fridge, below and away from cooked foods and any ready to eat food, before cooking. Never re-freeze raw meat that has been frozen and then thawed. Wash work surfaces, chopping boards, utensils and hands thoroughly after touching raw meat.
How to cook gammon joints:
- To boil a gammon joint: place it in a pan and cover with cold water, add cloves, black peppercorns or bay leaves to flavour if required.
- Bring the water to the boil, when the water boils, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
- To boil and bake a joint (this gives an attractive glazed finish to the fat): boil as above for half the cooking time, drain the joint and wrap it well in foil and place in a roasting tin.
- Bake for the remainder of the cooking time in a preheated oven at 180°C, gas mark 4 until thoroughly cooked.
- If a glazed finish is required: increase the oven temperature to 220°C, gas mark 7 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the joint from the oven and open the foil, remove the rind and score the fat into a diamond pattern. Stud the fat with cloves and sprinkle with brown sugar or brush with a mixture of 4 tbsp marmalade and 5 tbsp clear honey, return the joint to the oven and cook for the remaining cooking time, until the fat is a golden brown colour.