Save to your scrapbook
Borlotti bean minestrone with Parmesan crisps
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 of your 5 a day
Low in fat
3 tbsp Waitrose Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus extra to serve
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
3 celery sticks, trimmed and chopped
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tsp essential Waitrose Double Concentrated Tomato Purée
400g can essential Waitrose Plum Tomatoes, crushed with a spoon
2 x 500ml packs Cooks’ Ingredients Chicken or Vegetable Stock
400g can essential Waitrose Borlotti Beans, drained and rinsed
Parmigiano Reggiano rind, about 20g
110g cavolo nero or spring greens, shredded into 1cm pieces
50g dried spaghetti, broken into 2cm lengths
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh curly leaf parsley, to serve
FOR THE PARMESAN CRISPS
60g Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a low heat, then add the carrots, onion, celery and garlic. Cover and sweat slowly for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
2. Add the tomato purée and plum tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and borlotti beans and bring to the boil. Add the Parmesan rind and the cavolo nero or spring greens and simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Add the spaghetti and cook for 5 minutes less than the pack instructions suggest (by the time you serve the soup, it will be perfectly cooked). Season to taste.
4. Meanwhile, to make the Parmesan crisps, preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and heap the grated cheese into 4 rough circles. Bake for 7 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
5. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool and harden.
6. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls (discard the Parmesan rind). Drizzle each portion with a little olive oil and scatter over some chopped parsley. Serve immediately, with a Parmesan crisp on the side.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in January 2016.