Save to your scrapbook
Spicy-fried chicken burger
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 Essential Chicken Breast Fillets
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic granules (optional)
½ tsp dried oregano
sunflower oil, for deep frying
2 brioche buns, halved and lightly toasted
2 tbsp garlic mayonnaise
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (optional)
For the slaw
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
1 green chilli, thinly sliced
¼ white cabbage, shredded
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 pickled haimisha cucumber, plus 1 tbsp juice from the jar
1. Place the chicken fillets between sheets of greaseproof paper and flatten them out lightly with a rolling pin until 1cm thick. Place in a shallow bowl and pour over the buttermilk, cover and chill for 2-4 hours.
2. Meanwhile, mix together the red onion, chilli, cabbage and fennel seeds. Halve the pickled cucumber lengthways, then thinly slice and add to the salad with the pickled juice. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
3. Mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne, garlic and oregano, and spread half on to a large plate. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, lay them on the floured plate and sprinkle over the remainder until the chicken is evenly coated. Shake off any excess flour.
4. Pour 5cm of oil into a wok or large pan and heat to 175ºC or until a piece of bread browns in 40 seconds. Cook the chicken for 6-8 minutes turning half way, until brown, cooked through with no pink meat and any juices run clear. Drain on kitchen paper.
5. Spread the garlic mayonnaise on the base of the buns. Top with the fried chicken and slaw then sandwich the lid on top. Add a dash of hot pepper sauce, if liked, and serve.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in July 2020.