Aloo gobi cutlets
This north Indian potato and cauliflower sabzi ‘starred’ in the movie Bend it like Beckham. It’s a dish Chetna Makan grew up eating, and she has given it a festive party twist by making it into cutlets.
- Prepare45 mins
- Cook10 mins
- Total time55 mins
- PlusPreparation time 45 minutes + cooling and chilling
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus approx 150ml for shallow frying
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2½ cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients Garam Masala
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 large Maris Piper potato, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- ½ x 25g pack coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs (or blitz 1 slice thick white bread to crumbs)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 100g dried white breadcrumbs
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Chilli flakes, to serve
- Sea salt flakes, to serve
- Mango chutney, to serve
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the mustard seeds and once they start to pop, add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes until softened, then add the ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato, cover and cook for 5 minutes more until soft.
Add the salt, spices, cauliflower and potato with 2-3 tbsp water. Mix well, cover and cook for 18-20 minutes on low until the vegetables are soft. Mash lightly with the back of a wooden spoon, then add the coriander, mix well and set aside to cool.
Add the fresh breadcrumbs and cornflour to the mix and combine. Divide the mixture into 16 portions, shape into balls and slightly flatten. Coat the cutlets in the dried breadcrumbs, then chill for 30 minutes.
Add 75ml oil to a frying pan over a medium heat. Shallow fry 8 cutlets for 2 minutes each side until crisp and piping hot. Using kitchen paper, wipe the pan and repeat with the remaining oil and cutlets. Scatter with coriander and serve on a warm platter, with chilli and sea salt flakes and mango chutney on the side.
Typical values per item when made using specific products in recipe