Baked kale & potato pakoras
These kale-laden pakoras are baked rather than fried – ideal for reducing fat intake. Serve with a dollop of chutney. They also freeze brilliantly.
- Prepare20 mins
- Cook25 mins
- Total time45 mins
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ¾ tsp whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Cooks' Ingredients Ajwain
- 1 tsp Cooks' Ingredients Chaat Masala
- 20g ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 clove/s garlic, crushed
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 250g Desiree or King Edward potatoes, peeled and grated
- 150g Pentland Brig kale, finely shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 x 25g pack coriander, chopped
- 75g gram flour
- Mango chutney, chilli sauce or ketchup, to serve
Preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. In a large bowl, mix the spices, ginger, garlic, chilli, potatoes, kale, onion and coriander. Season, then mix thoroughly with your hands. Add the gram flour and mix again. The mixture should begin to bind but if it feels dry, add 1-2 tbsp water until it binds.
With wet hands, form 12 patties and place on the lined baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp and cooked through, turning halfway through. Serve hot with chutney, chilli sauce or ketchup and a cup of chai, if liked.
Typical values per item when made using specific products in recipe