Coconut & potato curry
This vegan, gluten-free curry ticks all the right boxes: it’s healthy, great value and all cooked in one pot. You can make it up to 48 hours in advance – just cover and chill then reheat until piping hot.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook30 mins
- Total time40 mins
- 1 tbsp Essential Vegetable Oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 clove/s garlic, finely chopped
- 700g Waitrose British Maris Piper Potaoes, peeled and cut into 2-3 chunks
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Cooks' Ingredients Garam Masala
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 200g frozen Essential Garden Peas
- 160ml can Essential Coconut Cream
- Coriander leaves, sliced green chilli and lime wedges, to serve (optional)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic then fry for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften. Meanwhile, rinse the cut potatoes well, shuffling them in a bowl of cold water to release as much starch as possible; set aside.
Add the spices and salt to the onions and fry for 1 minute more, then add the potatoes, turning to coat in the spices. Add 250ml cold water, bring to the boil then lower to a brisk simmer for 20 minutes, stirring regularly to make sure the potatoes cook evenly.
Stir in the peas and coconut cream then simmer for 3-4 minutes more. Serve with the coriander, green chilli and lime wedges, if using. Some flatbreads or steamed rice would go nicely, too.
Leftovers: Potato peelings
Hold on to those Maris Piper peelings! They’re full of fibre and delicious roasted with oil, paprika and a pinch of salt.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe