Linguine with green olives and homemade breadcrumbs
This simple linguine with crispy breadcrumbs recipe by Max La Manna is a great way of using up bread that would otherwise be wasted.
- CourseMain meal
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook15 mins
- Total time25 mins
- 50g dry leftover bread
- 85ml extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tbsp
- 2 tbsp dill, chopped, including stems
- 1 unwaxed lemon, 1 tbsp finely grated zest, 3 tbsp juice
- 340g linguine or other long pasta
- 3 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 12½g flat leaf parsley, chopped, including stems
- 25g basil, chopped, including stems
- 180g pitted green olives, halved
- 3 tbsp capers, rinsed
- 40g Violife Prosociano Wedge, finely grated to give 8 tbsp
Put the bread into a food processor and blitz it to fine crumbs. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the breadcrumbs. Season then cook, stirring often, for about 4-5 minutes until golden. Season again if necessary, then allow to cool before tossing with the dill and lemon zest. Set aside.
Boil the pasta in salted water according to pack instructions, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
Meanwhile, combine the garlic, parsley, basil, ½ the olives and ½ the capers in a large serving bowl. Finely chop the remaining olives and capers and add to the bowl with the 85ml oil and lemon juice. Mix well and season.
Drain the pasta, reserving a few tbsp of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and reserved liquid to the bowl. Toss, adding 1-2 tbsp of the vegan wedge at a time until the sauce coats the pasta. Serve the pasta topped with the crisp, lemon herb crumbs.
The sauce can be made 1 day ahead. Seal tightly and keep chilled.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe