Toasted cheese and pulled pork sandwiches
This full-blown sarnie is best served with lime wedges, extra hot pickled peppers and an ice-cold drink.
- Prepare10 mins
- Cook20 mins
- Total time30 mins
- 4 thick slices crusty white bread
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp smoky chilli paste (such as ancho or chipotle)
- 4 tbsp refried beans
- 3 salad onions, finely sliced
- 160g Cooks' Ingredients Pulled Pork Shoulder
- 4 guindillas (Spanish hot pickled peppers)
- 4 pimiento piquillos (sweet Spanish peppers)
- 4 slice/s Jarlsberg cheese
Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter and set butter-side down. Spread 2 slices with the chilli paste, and the other 2 with the refried beans.
Mix the salad onion and pork in a bowl, season, then arrange on top of the chilli paste. Top with the 1⁄2 the guindillas, pimiento piquillos and Jarlsberg. Press the other slice of bread on top, refried bean-side down and butter-side up.
Heat a large ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook for about 2 minutes, pressing them with a spatula, until the underside is crisp and golden. Carefully flip them over and cook the other side until golden. Lay a sheet of baking parchment on top of the sandwiches and weigh them down with a roasting tin.
Slide the pan into the oven and cook the sandwiches for about 3 minutes, until the filling is hot and the cheese is melting. Cut each sandwich in half and serve at once.
Typical values per serving when made using specific products in recipe