Save to your scrapbook
Harissa-spiced chicken & chickpea filo pie
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and crushed
1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted and crushed
2 onions, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1kg pack chicken thigh fillets
3 tbsp Belazu Apricot Harissa Paste
300g carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
400g can chickpeas, drained
500ml chicken stock
28g coriander, leaves and stalks finely chopped
50g toasted flaked almonds
To reheat and serve
270g pack Jus-Rol filo pastry
50g unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp Cooks’ Ingredients Zaatar
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and fry until fragrant. Stir in the onions and cook gently for 10 minutes until softened, then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
2. Meanwhile, season the chicken. Heat a large frying pan, add the remaining oil and fry the chicken thighs in batches until golden, cooked through with no pink meat and the juices run clear. Remove from the pan and add to the onions followed by the harissa, then mix well.
3. Add the carrots, chickpeas, chicken stock and seasoning. Cook over a low heat for 30 minutes until it has reduced and thickened. Add the coriander and flaked almonds, then cover and set aside to cool completely.
4. To freeze at this point, tip into a 2L freezerproof container, label and add the date it was made. Store in freezer for up to 1 month.
5. Remove from the freezer and leave to defrost overnight (covered) in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 180ºC, gas mark 4. Transfer to a large sauté pan, cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until piping hot throughout. Spoon into a 2L (approx 25x20x7cm) ovenproof dish. Brush the filo sheets with the melted butter, scrunch loosely and place all over the surface of the pie. Scatter with the zaatar and bake for 25-30 minutes until piping hot throughout and the filo is golden and crisp. Serve with seasonal green vegetables and some seasoned Greek yogurt. Do not reheat again once cooled.
Typical values per serving:
This recipe was first published in November 2020.