Save to your scrapbook
Mushroom & Tomato Risotto With Gremolata
This will be saved to your scrapbook
You can also add it to one of your existing cookbooks
15g Cooks’ Ingredients Porcini Mushrooms
40g toasted pine nuts
1 unwaxed lemon, zest finely grated
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
25g pack flat leaf parsley, washed, finely chopped, a few leaves reserved for garnish.
100g Cook’s Ingredients Chargrilled Tomatoes (drained), plus oil from the jar
1½ tsp vegan stock powder
3 echalion shallots, finely chopped
450g Duchy Organic Chestnut Mushrooms, half finely chopped the remainder halved or thickly sliced
2 tbsp Cook’s Ingredients Sundried Tomato Paste
300g arborio rice
100ml red wine (optional)
400g can Finely Chopped Tomatoes
1. Snip the porcini mushrooms into strips. Put in a jug, cover with 400ml just-boiled water and steep for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the gremolata. Combine the pine nuts and lemon zest with 1 finely chopped garlic clove, the chopped parsley and 1 tbsp oil from the tomato jar. Season and set aside.
2. Strain the mushroom stock into a large saucepan, reserving the mushrooms. Add 700ml just-boiled water and the stock power. Set over a low heat and keep at a low simmer.
3. Put 2 tbsp oil from the tomato jar in a large saucepan. Add the shallots and cook gently, stirring, for 5 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the remaining garlic, the chopped mushrooms, the drained porcini mushrooms and tomato paste, cooking for a couple of minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more, then add the wine (if using) and briskly simmer until absorbed.
4. Stir in the chopped tomatoes. Add a ladle of hot stock to the empty tomato can, then add this to the rice, stirring until the liquid has been absorbed. Keep adding ladles of stock to the pan, stirring between each addition and allowing almost all the stock to be absorbed before adding more. Continue for 17-18 minutes until all the stock is used and the rice is tender but firm to the bite.
5. Remove from the heat, season and cover. Fry the sliced mushrooms in 1 tbsp oil from the tomato jar over a high heat for about 3 minutes. Add the drained chargrilled tomatoes, season and fry for 1 minute until the mushrooms are golden and the tomatoes piping hot. Divide the risotto between 4 bowls and top with fried mushrooms, gremolata and parsley leaves.
Typical values per serving:
1 of your 5 a day / Vegan
This recipe was first published in September 2021.